expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Song Saturday: Marilyn Manson's Dope Hat

How's it going lurkers? I thought about sharing a little Marilyn Manson to set the mood for this Halloween Season. 

Recently, I noticed that I did not have a single Song Saturday blog about Marilyn Manson. To warn you all in advance, I am NOT  a huge fan.

I have enjoyed some of Manson's songs over these last 2 decades. However, he is not someone that I would want to interview, much less meet.

Does Marilyn Manson scare me?

Absolutely not. Even though the man is a talented painter and I still feel he should've been casted as Trevor Goodchild in the Æon Flux movie, Marilyn Manson loves being a narcissistic edgelord (I can imagine us "locking horns" with each other).

Manson is contrived; He tries TOO HARD to prove to everyone that he is the anti-thesis to fame and popularity by wearing a dark and evil persona for the public. After the media unfairly uses him as a scapegoat for atrocities such as the Columbine High School Massacre in 1999, for example, he's the victim all the sudden.

Do I blame Marilyn Manson for Columbine?

No, not at all. That shooting was NEVER Marilyn Manson's fault, but he gives the media more ammunition to demonize him for his contrived, divisive, and ridiculous antics.

When the Columbine High School shooting happened in '99, I was going on 17. Until this very day, I still believe it was absolute bullshit watching and listening to the media and parents blame movies, video games, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, and several other bands, and the entire Goth Sub-Culture for the Columbine High School Massacre.

Those 2 domestic terrorists were NOT  Marilyn Manson fans. Those 2 immediately saw through his extremely contrived facade, which is the only thing I can support.

Otherwise, blaming Manson for 2 domestic terrorists massacring high school teachers and students over high school girls rejecting them was and still is bullshit. Saying this is not an exaggeration. 

Earlier this year, I watched ABC's 20/20 special. The special featured the mother of 1 of the shooters, who published a book about her son and such a horrific tragedy. Watching that special reminded me what it was like being an angsty teenager, during the 1990's and being demonized for writing angry poetry for my own catharsis.

Even though I am an adult now, that part of me as a person never completely left. Whether I am on or offline, I still must endure demonization, negative labels, and being treated like a freak. I feel this is mostly why Marilyn Manson still has fans from Generations X, Y, and Z.

I may not be a huge fan of his, but I can empathize with the man to an extent and listen to some of his songs from 1994 to now.

Speaking of 1994, I was only 12 years old when I saw his music video for "Dope Hat." It aired on the music channel called, The Box. In '94, "Dope Hat" was a music video made by Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids.

While watching that music video as a 12-year-old girl, my reaction was, "What the fuck is that? This is like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory on crack." As bizarre as the music video for "Dope Hat" was, I liked the song.

Then again, my interests have always been eccentric, kooky, and Goth, since childhood during the late '80s. At that time, I don't believe "Goth" was a coined term yet.

Marilyn Manson and I do share some similarities by coincidence, which is somewhat uncanny. This includes some fashion. 

About a year or so ago, I happened to stumble upon a YouTube clip of Manson on The Late Show With David Letterman from 2003.

In that clip, Manson wore the exact same Demonia Boots that I still have from college. To get a better view, here's a photo of OUR boots:

Demonia Trashville Patent Leather Boots

College friends and classmates will tell you, that I wore those exact boots quite often between 2003 to 2006. Since we are in the middle of another Mercury Retrograde and because I already mentioned this music video, here is Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids' video for "Dope Hat."

Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids "Dope Hat" Portrait Of An American Family (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers