expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Early Cartoon Sunday: Charlie Murphy Tribute

How's it going lukers? Since tomorrow is Easter, I thought I would share this Cartoon Sunday blog 1 day in advance. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's season finale is TONIGHT at midnight on Adult Swim's Toonami block.

Tokyo Ghoul is postponed because Toonami wanted to rush JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and replace it with the 2nd season of Attack On Titan. 

Supposedly, after Attack On Titan ends, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will return to Toonami with its 2nd season, Stardust Crusaders.

Honestly, I thought Attack On Titan ended 2 years ago. I really do hope JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders premieres on Toonami, after Viz Media finishes dubbing it.

While Toonami tards nitpick, whine, and fixate on every show's ratings, viewers like yours truly just happen to be enjoying other Seinen Action Anime such as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Tokyo Ghoul. The preceding are NOT  the stereotypical Toonami Anime.

I was originally going to make today's blog about the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise. That was until I learned about the death of Charlie Murphy, last Wednesday.

Billboard: Charlie Murphy Made His Own Name Thanks to Epic Prince & Rick James Stories on 'Chappelle's Show'

Charlie Murphy's death was shocking and sad. I will never forget meeting him inside my original dorm's lobby at Carthage College 12 1/2 years ago. 

Before Charlie and the cast of Chappelle Show did their stand-up comedy routines, I had the chance to meet the comedian! 

The cast of Chappelle Show was doing their comedy tour in tribute to Rick James. Luckily, they visited us at Carthage College that year.

This event happened during the time, when my family was forced to attend and partake in my uncle's wedding, while my grandfather was terminally ill. 

On September 10, 2004, I had just moved back into the dorms for the fall term at Carthage College; My uncle's wedding was the same day as Dave Chappelle's Comedy Tour in tribute to the late Rick James.

At the time, I was broke and my cell phone was shut off. Therefore, I HAD to use my previous dorm's pay phone in the lobby. (Yes, pay phones STILL existed during 2004 but they were fastly becoming obsolete.) Luckily, their skits were performed at my college and were free for us Carthage students.

As I was talking to my youngest aunt via pay phone, Charlie Murphy jogged passed me, shouting, "Hey! How's it going?" He made me do a double take. I was "star struck."

You may be wondering WHY  I'm explaining this to you. For those who did NOT  already know, Charlie Murphy voiced the character, Ed Wuncler III on Adult Swim's Black Animated Sitcom, The Boondocks.

The character, Ed Wuncler III was an affluent, white, Iraqi war vet and a domestic gangster with the so-called "blackcent."

The Boondocks: Ed Wuncler III Explains About His War Experience In Iraq (2005)

Samuel L. Jackson voiced Ed Wuncler III's war vet friend, Gin Rummy.

The Boondocks "The Absence Of Evidence Is Not The Evidence Of Absence!" Scene (2005)

 
Wearing that "W" medallion, Ed Wuncler III could be viewed as the spoof of a young President George W. Bush combined with the characteristics of the rapper, Eminem. "Ed" somewhat reminded me of a white version of the rapper, 50 Cent because he wore medallions. 
 
For years, I always assumed the "W" stood for Wuncler and war.

Some of my favorite scenes from The Boondocks usually consisted of Ed and Gin Rummy committing crimes together. 

Not that I condone and glorify the criminal lifestyle, but watching it in a Black Animated Sitcom meant for sociological and political satire is hilarious.

In tribute to the late Charlie Murphy, here are scenes of he and Samuel L. Jackson voicing their characters, Ed Wuncler III and Gin Rummy. 

In the episode, "Thank You for Not Snitching," Ed and Gin discuss the stupidity of cell phone technology, while invading people's homes. Click on the bold link below.

The Boondocks: Ed & Gin Rummy Discuss The Stupidity Of Cell Phone Technology (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers