expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Friday, April 18, 2014

Early Song Saturday: Drain STH {Double Dose}

How's it going lurkers? Since I will be really busy this weekend, I've put a rush on Song Saturday and Cartoon Sunday. I'm sure it's already Saturday in other countries. It just turned Friday in America, several hours ago. 

I must shop for both my mother's and youngest aunt's birthday presents. Their birthdays are next week. On Easter, we are going to dinner with family. Therefore, I'm sharing Song Saturday and Cartoon Sunday early.

Earlier this week, I debated whether or not to publish a Song Saturday blog about Type O Negative (since Monday was the 4th anniversary of Peter Steele's death), or Drain STH. 

Because most people have never heard of Drain STH in America and overseas, this Song Saturday will be focused more on them. 

Drain STH was a female Swedish Grunge/Metal band that formed in the 1990's. 

In fact, the band performed at Ozzfest in 1997 and 1999 with Type O Negative and other bands. Both of Drain STH's albums, Horror Wrestling and Freaks of Nature, were released those same years and I own both of them. 

On 101.7 WIPZ, I mostly played songs from the Swedish Grunge/Metal band's debut album (Horror Wrestling), 11-12 years ago. I especially got someone, who I was "sorta seeing," 10 years ago, to love Drain STH. 

As soon as he heard their debut single, "I Don't Mind," he put Horror Wrestling into his CD burner. Wow! It's amazing how time flew!

Maria Sjoholm, who happens to be married to Black Sabbath's guitarist, Tony Iommi, was the vocalist of Drain STH. They met, while working on Drain STH in 1996 and married in 2005. 

Hmm, this makes me wonder if they're still married. Some of us consider Drain STH to be the female, Swedish version of Alice in Chains. Whenever I hear Drain STH's song, "Mind Over Body," I cannot help thinking about Alice in Chains, since Drain STH was highly influenced by them. This does not surprise me in the slightest.

It's like I said last Song Saturday, Alice in Chains heavily influenced many bands of the past and present.

Drain STH disbanded in 2000. It's a shame they never completely mainstreamed. I don't recall of MTV ever airing their music videos. However, I sometimes heard Drain STH's single's "I Don't Mind," "Crack the Liar's Smile," "Enter My Mind," and "Simon Says," as a teenager on Rock stations. 

From both albums, it seems like "Crack the Liar's Smile" and "Simon Says" were played the most. 

Years ago, I read that Drain STH were dropped from their record label and never became mainstream simply because the chauvinistic Metal masses said they were "too pretty" to be taken seriously. 

Talk about some chauvinistic, superficial, Boys Club Only, bullshit!

According to the Metal Edge Magazine's 1999 Readers' Choice Awards, Drain STH was voted "Female Performers of the Year" and "Most Underrated Band."

So... Where is Drain STH, Now?

Maria Sjoholm completely retired from music. Meanwhile, drummer/backup vocalist Martina Axen sang in Snake River Conspiracy and is currently recording a solo album. 

Guitarist Flavia Canel currently manages Sonic Syndicate and stopped professionally playing guitar. 

Lastly, bassist Anna K. joined Hanzel Und Gretyl, Revolting Cocks, and Opiate for the Masses. 

Now, Anna is working on a Stockholm, Sweden based project, which involves the members of Clawfinger and Skintrade.

This Song Saturday, I present the only 2 music videos that I have ever seen from Drain STH. "I Don't Mind" and "Crack the Liar's Smile" are both from the band's debut album, Horror Wrestling.

Watching "I Don't Mind" automatically reminds me of their Horror Wrestling album cover. Well, enough about the band. Here's Drain STH's "I Don't Mind" and "Crack the Liar's Smile."

1) Drain STH "I Don't Mind" Horror Wrestling (1997)

 
2) Drain STH "Crack The Liar's Smile" Horror Wrestling (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers