expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cartoon Sunday: Kersten Hackney's "The Girl of His Dreams" (2006 Stop-Motion Animation Senior Art Project)


How's it going lurkers? For today's Cartoon Sunday, I have Stop-Motion Animation for you all. It's actually a short created by best friend from Carthage College, Kersten Hackney. 

First and foremost, I have known Kersten since the time of hosting my college radio show, All Things Frightening at UW-Parkside's 101.7 WIPZ in 2002.

2002 was a very hectic year for yours truly because I literally attended 3 different colleges in 2 different WI cities and became a Radio DJ/Hostess at 1 of 3 WI colleges within the same year!

In fact, when we met each other, I literally juggled being a full-time on campus student and a DJ at UW-Parkside, while being a part-time commuter for Japanese classes at Carthage College.

Kersten and I actually met each other at the bus stop outside Carthage's David Straz Center. Since I was done with Japanese for the week, we talked at the bus stop when I was heading back to UW-Parkside. To be more specific, the 2 of us met on a Friday afternoon in October 2002. 

I don't remember the exact date. However, I DO remember that it was on a Friday afternoon because I hosted All Things Frightening on Fridays 4-6pm and needed to be back on Parkside's campus to host my radio show. 

Being an old relic from the early 21st Century, All Things Frightening was heard locally in Kenosha, WI AND on the Internet, when more people were in the early stages of listening to radio stations online.  

Listeners could hear EBM, EDM, and mostly Metal including Industrial Metal on my radio show. Those music genres and sub-genres could complement each other well, especially when it came to the Goth sub-culture.

Kersten was also a "nerdy Goth" with long Strawberry Blonde Hair and glasses, when I met her and we were able to resonate with each other on an Ivy League-ish type of college campus.

Carthage's student body mostly consisted of the stereotypical, new money, elitist, "white privileged," trust fund brats from IL on a Lake Michigan college campus in Downtown Kenosha, WI.

Did you ever have the chance to watch the late John Hughes' Pretty In Pink, if not his other '80s films that mostly focused on over privileged trust fund brats from IL?

Even though we graduated from high school, Carthage felt like high school NEVER ended because it always felt like a high school popularity contest with the cast of Clueless combined with Pretty In Pink. Ugh! Meanwhile...

As I waited for the Kenosha city bus to stop outside Carthage's David Straz Center, we discussed Hot Topic, Goth fashion in general and being able to customize Goth fashion, especially since Kersten is an immensely talented artist. 

Anytime someone can convert a pair of black LEATHER pants into a leather mini jumper dress, that is SHEER genius and talent!

It wasn't until I completely transferred to Carthage College from UW-Parkside in 2004 that we were reunited by a mutual classmate/friend and soon became close friends.

Hell, Kersten even named the title of my Carthage chapbook for my Creative Writing Minor, It's Not All Bunnies And Sunshine and did the inside cover illustration for it.

I genuinely hope that in the near future, a Rock band will take a liking to Kersten Hackney's abstract sketches to the extent that they will use her illustrations for album covers.

She has NO idea that her sketches alone could be ICONIC album covers much like Joy Division's 1979 album cover, Unknown Pleasures

Do you see this Joy Division album cover for Unknown Pleasures?

Ms. Hackney's sketches have such abilities to be like this Joy Division album cover above! If she only knew that her sketches could be iconic in the future.

Kersten's 2006 Senior Art Project, "The Girl of His Dreams" was shot with a Kodak Easy Share Digital Camera. "The Girl of His Dreams" was based on H.J. Lorentz's short story of the same title.

According to Ms. Hackney, "The Girl of His Dreams" is a Macabre Horror Revenge Short Story with a dash of Dark Humor in Stop-Motion Animation form. The woman's ex-husband is the protagonist.  

Kersten rushed "The Girl of His Dreams" by only using 2 dolls in hopes of submitting her project to Adult Swim's contest that same year.

She was almost finished shooting "The Girl of His Dreams," when Adult Swim's contest had just ended. This somewhat explains why the characters don't have any facial features. 

Had Kersten graduated with me in May 2006, I would've GLADLY  helped her with her Stop-Motion Animation project MONTHS before I graduated.

I'm not saying this to sound like a self-centered, attention whore because of helping her in the past with a more TITILLATING art project and for already having some experience with voice work. 

With my own eyes, I have witnessed Kersten Hackney's talent! Maybe someday, she will have more free time to modify her Stop-Motion Animation project. After all, remakes and reboots are "trendy" here in the early 21st Century. 

Shortly after graduating from Carthage College in May 2006, I was supposed to attend Kersten Hackney's presentation for her senior art project. 

Unfortunately on December 1, 2006, I was unable to attend Kersten's senior art project presentation. A family friend's daughter was brutally attacked by a dog and was rushed to the ER. 

To make matters worse on that same date, my mother became dehydrated from excessively shoveling LARGE mounds of snow at our front yard's bus stop. 

It resulted in my NOW disabled mother having her very first seizure. I'll spare you all the details by saying our family friend's daughter is safe, healthy, and doing well in 2nd grade, and my mother is her normal self.

When I originally watched "The Girl of His Dreams" 7-8 years ago, Adult Swim's Robot Chicken (another Stop-Motion Animation) instantly came to mind.  

"The Girl of His Dreams" By Kersten Hackney (2006)

                                                   

If you enjoyed "The Girl of His Dreams" and are on YouTube, hit the Like button!

I'm very tempted to e-mail Cartoon Network/Adult Swim after sharing this Cartoon Sunday blog. You can even Tweet about "The Girl of His Dreams" to Adult Swim, if it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers