expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Song Saturday: Prince Tribute Block

 
How's it going lukers? Are you Princed out yet? It's amazing. "The Purple One" died 2-3 weeks ago and was cremated YET  the media is still talking about him. Without a doubt, we know there are at least some people already suffering from Prince fatigue.

Honestly, I would much rather hear and read more about Prince than this election any day of the week. If anything, everyone should be politically fatigued.

So, I meant to publish this Prince tribute blog ~3 weeks ago, but trying to schedule an interview with a famous Metal bassist, shopping for Mother's Day and birthday presents, celebrating birthdays, and handling cyberbullying on Adult Swim kept me completely swamped both on and offline. 

Meanwhile, more news also continues to surface by the hours about Prince. 

Since we are on the topic of Prince, we have learned that he did NOT die from the "flu." The Purple One died from a drug overdose. 

Considering that he had to take Percocet for his hip injuries and underwent surgery, chances are great that the prescription caused the overdose.

Whenever I hear Percocet being mentioned on the news, I automatically think about Nirvana's Kurt Cobain. Eventually, I will update that 2-year-old Song Saturday blog, which I published about Nirvana. Cobain took Percocet for his stomach ailments.

When Kurt no longer had access to the prescription, he turned to heroin, which is much stronger than the prescription, Percocet.

Judging from what I continue to learn about the highly addictive prescription, Percocet, could possibly be the so-called "gateway drug" to heroin. 

Here in WI ~2 months ago, I heard on our local news, that hospitals are trying to allow EMT's to give heroin addicts Narcan to counteract heroin overdoses.

Shortly before Kurt Cobain's supposed suicide, the doctors gave him Narcan in March 1994 because he overdosed on heroin. Weeks later, he was found dead.

Speaking of the Grunge band, Nirvana, Krist Novoselic and David Grohl considered Prince to be 1 of their musical influences. By my OWN observations about these 2 surviving members of Nirvana, I believe Dave Grohl enjoyed listening to Prince MORE than Krist and Kurt.

In fact, the Nirvana drummer now turned frontman for The Foo Fighters covered Prince's song, "Darling Nikki." The cover is featured on a B-Side album from 2003.

As I have mentioned at least several times in previously published blogs, "Darling Nikki" from Prince's Purple Rain album led to Tipper Gore launching the Parental Advisory (nicknamed "Tipper Stickers") labels on explicit albums in 1984.

Prince was actually the main contributor to censorship in entertainment, during 1984. Tipper Gore got "triggered" because she caught HER DAUGHTER, Karenna listening to Prince's "Darling Nikki." Don't you just LOVE masturbation?

BTW: May is Masturbation Month. HAPPY MASTURBATION MONTH!!!

Well, getting back on the topic of Prince, he made his mark in entertainment, throughout these last 3-4 decades in various music genres. 

He released 30 studio albums, wrote songs for OTHER singers in Pop, Country, Rock, R&B, etc. under numerous pseudonyms, and wrote THOUSANDS of unreleased songs, which are said to possibly last an entire century.

There are many reasons why people hail The Purple One. Prince managed to surpass not only Elvis and Jimi Hendrix, but also Michael Jackson as a music icon. This speaks volumes.

Since the time of Prince's demise, I have read news articles, watched news programs, and famous musicians on social media performing tributes. I was very surprised to see Metal and Rock bands covering his most popular songs in tributes to him, when they were not posting their condolences.

Growing up, I wasn't a huge Prince fan, but like I creepily mentioned in my Vanity blog, I knew my uncle would be devastated if Prince were to die SOON. Oh yes, he idolized The Purple One and his androgynous ways. 

My uncle may love Jimi Hendrix, but he ALWAYS worshiped Prince. In a way, Prince can be somewhat considered THE Jimi Hendrix for older Gen Xers. 

As I watched ABC's 20/20 News special about Prince 3 weeks ago, my mother walked into my bedroom imitating me, when I was a little girl. 

Watching her imitate me listening to "When Doves Cry" with my headphones on as a toddler was hilarious.

The more I think about it, it makes me realize that I haven't changed all that much as I became an adult. I still listen to music wearing my headphones. If only friends could see me, now.

Even though I am NOT  a Prince zealot like my uncle, I still enjoy listening to some of his songs. It would take me forever to mention facts about The Purple One but I will mention a few. 

Here's some interesting trivia for you!

* Prince did the entire soundtrack for Tim Burton's Batman movie in 1989. 

* If you WERE a fan of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer during the 1990's, you MAY remember the character, Jenny Calendar. The actress, Robia LaMorte was 1 of Prince's dancers in his music videos for "Get Off," "Cream," and "Strollin'."

This is the part where I let you watch some of my favorite Prince music videos from the 1980's and '90s for today's Song Saturday.

1) Prince And The Revolution "When Doves Cry" Purple Rain (1984)

2) Prince And The Revolution "Raspberry Beret" Around The World In A Day (1985)

3) Prince And The Revolution "Kiss" Parade (1986)

4) Prince [Featuring Sheila E. & Sheena Easton] "U Got The Look" Sign “☮” the Times (1987)

5) Prince "Batdance" Batman Soundtrack (1989)

6) Prince And The New Power Generation [Featuring Rosie Gaines, Eric Leeds, & Tony M.] "Get Off" Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

7) Prince And The New Power Generation [Featuring Rosie Gaines] "Cream" Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

REST IN PURPLE, PRINCE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers