expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Cartoon Sunday: Shigeru Okada's Saka Men

How's it going lurkers? From last night throughout earlier this morning, I have spent HOURS online hunting around for more entertaining animation to share with you.

Originally, I meant to share this Japanese Stop-Motion Horror Short on It's Not All Gumdrops & Unicorns months ago. I'm starting to think that some of the content I meant to share over this spring and summer is more fitting for October.

Today we have Shigeru Okada's short, "Saka Men." Okada is a Japanese writer, director, and animator. 

His Stop-Motion Horror Short that I am sharing today focuses on the Shimenawa in the Japanese religion, Shintoism.

It has been ~ 10-12 years, since I last conducted research on Shintoism for Asian Studies. I mostly focused on the Sun Goddess, Amaterasu. As I was saying, the Shimenawa is a special plaited rope, which is tied around trees.

Shimenawa Rope:

Shimenawa is normally tied around trees in Japan, in order to ward off evil spirits.

In this Stop-Motion Horror Short, after a man gets into a knife fight with a monk on the mountain, he cuts the Shimenawa Rope to wrap around his arm. 

His wife tries to warn him NOT  to cut the Shimenawa but he chooses to be defiant. Because he disobeyed his wife, all hell breaks loose. You will have to see for yourself.

To warn you in advance, "Saka Men" is in Japanese. You can watch this short in English subtitles. 

In order to really get the feel of "Saka Men," I highly suggest clicking on the video below and watching it directly on YouTube. That way, you can maximize your screen. Anyway, here is Shigeru Okada's "Saka Men" for today's Cartoon Sunday.

Shigeru Okada "Saka Men" (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers