expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Cartoon Sunday: Pitchfork TV's A Brief History Of Emo

How's it going lurkers? Today I wanted to switch things up a little for Cartoon Sunday. Every so often, I like discussing a variety of different topics, including the different types of animation not affiliated with Adult Swim's programming.

Next month, I will be sharing another cartoon that aired on MTV shortly before the network canceled it. Some, if not most of you already noticed that I constantly talk about Adult Swim.

As I have said many times in the past, I was watching Liquid Television Animation on MTV, during the 1990's. This was YEARS before Cartoon Network launched the original Toonami block and before Adult Swim was ever launched.

More recently, younger Millennials and Gen Z have been discovering older cartoons that used to air on MTV, during the '90s. Here's the real kicker, Adult Swim's latest animated promos for the network are only imitations of some of MTV's promos from the 1990's (circa 1992 and after to be more exact).

MTV Promo: "Ding-Dong" (1992)

This promo for MTV is only 1 example. I believe that Adult Swim is currently trying to copy what MTV started doing more than 2 decades or so ago with Adult Swim's latest promos. 

Don't believe me? 

Watch Adult Swim during the commercial breaks, especially on the weekends.

It is an absolute disgrace to see how so many networks and the people running them have LOST  their integrity. 

Rather than showing quality entertainment, local, cable, and satellite channels intentionally launch more low-brow Reality TV shows to pander, glorify, and normalize self-centered, attention-seeking, and highly entitled men, women, children, and pregnant teenage girls.

Speaking of entertainment, you may recall that earlier this year, I published several blogs about the Goth Sub-culture. 

In fact, I published a Cartoon Sunday blog about Pitchfork TV giving a brief yet comedic history lesson about the Goth Sub-culture. In case you missed this blog, click on the following link.

Cartoon Sunday: Pitchfork TV's History Lesson About The Goth Sub-culture (2017)

For the last 10-15 years, I've had some people, including an ignorant and estranged, affluenza man-child for a so-called college "friend," label me as being Emo. By no means am I Emo and have never dressed Emo. 

South Park Season 17: Episode 4 "The Difference Between Goths & Emos" (2013)

Regardless of the clothes I wear, the music I listen to, and TV shows and movies I watch, I have been Goth, since childhood.

Friends and classmates from 6th to 12th grade would not know it because my physical appearance was NOT  Goth, at the time. However, I did have some Goth friends in high school and my interests were always dark and morbid.

Decades later, I am STILL Goth.

Despite the negative depictions of Goths in the media, every Goth is NOT  a horrible person. Also, Goth Fashion does not always translate well, when you are in the workforce.

Depending on the company's dress code, you have to wear "normal" clothing, in order to assimilate. If you work at a company that allows you to wear whatever you want, OR happen to be self-employed, you can Goth it up as much as you want. Most companies in the workforce will NOT  allow it.

As I was saying about Emos, they are NOT  the same as Goths. The gif above is of the character, Sasuke Uchiha from the Naruto franchise. 

For the last 16 years, there have been plenty of gifs and memes about Sasuke because this character looks and acts like the stereotypical Emo brat and HURTS. 

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a meme with "Woe is Sasuke" captioned on it. Sasuke Uchiha memes captioned with "I'm so Emo" have been floating around the Internet, since 2005.

Emos normally listen to shitty Pop-Punk bands and "Crybaby" Rock Music whereas some Emos may physically appear as Goth because of their make-up, hair, and some clothing.

When you see someone with dyed black hair, an asymmetrical and/or spiky haircut, swept over bangs like Sasuke's, and possibly wearing horned-rimmed glasses, THAT person is without a doubt an Emo.

During my last 2 years at Carthage, an estranged guy friend continuously mocked and mislabeled me as being Emo-Goth. That's excluding his need to disguise his snide remarks and cheap shots as jokes. 

BTW: This was coming from an affluenza man-child, who gave a speech about his ACTION FIGURES in Speech Class! A female friend's roommate told us about it in their dorm room, which is the only reason why I know about it. Little does the affluenza man-child know that the joke's really on him. 

Because such a so-called "friend" had his tendency to mock me and disguise his cheap shots as jokes, I distanced myself from him, after graduating. That's not including he and his homely-looking girlfriend at the time causing division among us and mutual friends. Those were some other great reasons for dumping him. Welp, that's enough about me being intentionally mislabeled as an Emo-Goth.

When you watch Pitchfork TV's informative yet humorous cartoon about the history of Emo, you should realize that Emo is different from Goth Rock and the Goth Sub-culture in general. 

You should especially notice that I have NEVER featured ANY  Emo Rock bands in previous Song Saturday blogs.

Listening to songs by A.F.I. is MY ONLY EXCEPTION to Emo. Otherwise, like most people, I HATE Emo Rock Music! Anyway, here is Pitchfork TV's "A Brief History Of Emo" for Cartoon Sunday.

Pitchfork TV: "A Brief History Of Emo" (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers