expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Song Saturday: The Cranberries Tribute

Related image

How's it going my gumdrops? How are you liking the latest background? At the moment, we are green for Saint Patrick's Day and the spring. With my extremely hectic schedule this year both on and offline, I have not been publishing and sharing as many Song Saturday and Cartoon Sunday blogs. 

On It's Not All Gumdrops & Unicorns ~ 2 months ago, I already mentioned, that I would be blogging less. 

Lately, funerals, doctor, and dental appointments keep throwing monkey wrenches into my plans. Also, technology keeps working against me every time I want to edit and revise my stories. 2018 is a year that I would love to see my goals and accomplishments come to fruition.  

Hopefully this month, I will be able to start revising at least some of my short stories; I want to start revising some of my short stories, which have been backburned for the last 5 years or so. 

Speaking of Song Saturday blogs and funerals, today's Song Saturday blog is somewhat overdue. Whether it is a celebrity, family member, or friend, it always sucks to start the year with a demise. Judging from what I can see, 2018 hasn't been as terrible as 2016 and 2017 in that regard. 

On January 15, 2018, I was shocked by the sudden death of Dolores O'Riordan. Dolores O'Riordan was originally the lead singer of the Irish Alternative/Celtic Rock band, The Cranberries. 

After learning about her death on the local news 2 months ago, I could not help feeling sadness. I guess you could say The Cranberries were another band, that was a part of my youth during the 1990's. 

Over the last several days, I noticed that MTV Classic has been airing The Cranberries' music video, "Linger." When it comes to their song, "Linger," it brings back childhood memories. (Or should I be saying, "pre-teen nostalgia"?)

The Cranberries debuted with "Linger," in 1993. At the time, I was only 11 years old and instantly took a liking to the song. I liked "Linger" so much, that I recorded it on tape. 

Gen Xers will know what I'm talking about. Younger Millennials and Generation Z have no idea what it's like to buy vinyl records, CD's, and audio cassettes (also known as tapes). At the time, I did not always have enough money in my allowance to buy albums. This led to me recording songs from radio stations to blank tapes. 

Before going on a family road trip to Michigan in 1993, The Cranberries' "Linger" was 1 of the many songs I just HAD to record before our trip. 

Growing up, it was a necessity to have my own music for road trips playing in a Sony Walkman. I didn't always want to listen to the music, that was on every radio station, while we traveled. 

Sometimes while traveling and if "Linger" happened to be playing on a radio station, I got excited and yelled at my mother to turn up the radio. "Linger" was such a soothing song. Now that Dolores O'Riordan is dead, I cannot help feeling a little depressed. 

A major disadvantage to getting older is hearing about some of your favorite icons dying. Throughout late 2015 to 2017, learning about so many music icons dropping dead ALMOST everyday was upsetting. Their deaths became a constant reminder of the end of certain music eras, genres, sub-genres, and most importantly, those icons' lives. 

We as fans can only hold onto our nostalgia. Even that can be depressing. For the last 1 1/2 -2 years, you have no idea the many times I have watched MTV Classic and have felt a little pain watching so many DEAD music icons' videos back to back in blocks. It's a constant reminder of how much time has gone passed and, that I am getting older. 

The autopsy report for Dolores O'Riordan will not be released, until sometime next month. 

Since this blog is mostly in tribute to the late Dolores O'Riordan, here are 3 of my favorite songs by The Cranberries for today's Song Saturday.


1) The Cranberries "Linger" Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (1993) 

2) The Cranberries "Ode To My Family" No Need To Argue (1994)

 3) The Cranberries "When You're Gone" To The Faithful Departed (1996)

Thank you my gumdrops! Don't forget to like, subscribe, share, +1 on Google Plus, and leave your feedback in the comments section below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna. I know I'm a bit late but I've only just discovered this site now. I know The Cranberries. I have heard some of their songs on the radio. Their most famous song was Zombie which was always played the most out of all their songs on the radio. I looked up some information about Zombie and found out that it was about the 1993 IRA bombing in Warrington. Good tribute Anna. RIP Dolores O'riordan. From Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jesse! It's so great to see you here! The Cranberries' "Zombie" was indeed heavily played on MTV and Rock stations. Even though the song was heavily played, I enjoyed some of their other songs better.

      Don't be scared to check out the latest Song Saturday and Cartoon Sunday blogs I published. This includes Watership Down.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers