expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Friday, December 15, 2017

Early Song Saturday: BATZZ In The Belfry's O Holy Night {Creepy Goth Cover}

How's it going lurkers? Originally, I planned to share this Song Saturday blog, tomorrow. Considering how incredibly exhausted I've been these last few weeks with chores, shoveling snow, and Christmas shopping, I am sharing Song Saturday 1 day early.

It has been a while, since I last published a festive Song Saturday blog featuring any Goth Rock. The last Song Saturday I published with a Goth Rock song for Christmas (if memory serves me right) was in 2013. In case you missed London After Midnight's "The Christmas Song," click right HERE.

London After Midnight's "The Christmas Song" was 1 of my earliest Song Saturday blogs I published, after building my website, It's Not All Gumdrops & Unicorns in 2013. It's amazing how time flies.

This next Goth Rock Song Saturday blog features the Goth Rock band, BATZZ In The Belfry. BATZZ In The Belfry has been around for the last 10 to nearly 15 years.

Nelson founded the band in San Francisco, CA during 2003. He wanted BATZZ to sound more like a Classic Goth Rock band.

After listening to the band perform the Christmas song, "O Holy Night" on their 2007 debut album, Sparks Fly Upward, I noticed that BATZZ sounds somewhat similar to Sisters Of Mercy.

If you have ever listened to the 1980's Goth Rock band, Sisters Of Mercy, imagine lead singer Andrew Eldritch singing "O Holy Night." BATZZ In The Belfry's cover of this song sounds creepy.

Even though BATZZ sounds creepy covering "O Holy Night," they still managed to do the song justice. Everyone cannot sing "O Holy Night." 

Over the years, I have noticed that everybody can't hit the notes for this Christmas song. Even if they can, somebody usually RUINS the song by changing the style of how the song is meant to be sung in an attempt to sound "edgy" and innovative. 

After discovering 2 years ago, that the late great Scott Weiland sang "O Holy Night" on his 2011 Christmas album, The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, I was HIGHLY disappointed.

It was not that STP's late frontman could not perform the song. It was the style of the cover that really disappointed me as a longtime fan; His cover was a joke!

Can you imagine Scott Weiland turning "O Holy Night" into a Calypso song? 

As much as I loved and still love Scott Weiland as the original lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, I HATED his version of "O Holy Night."

I refused to add Scott Weiland's version of "O Holy Night" to the Song Saturday blog I published 2 years ago.

The blog I published 1 week after Scott's death, featured Christmas songs from his album, The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year.

Meanwhile, BATZZ In The Belfry's cover of "O Holy Night" managed to sound creepy but still decent.

Critics may claim, that BATZZ In The Belfry was only trying to sound "edgy," in their attempt at covering "O Holy Night." However, I do NOT  want to turn off the song.

BATZZ's creepy cover sounds like it should be used for a tragic ending of a Christmas Horror film. 

Don't believe me? Listen to the cover for yourself and you be the judge.

Batzz In The Belfry "O Holy Night" Sparks Fly Upward (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers