expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Who Remembers The Gremlins Audiobooks From Hardee's?

This blog was originally published October 1, 2013. 

How's it going Blogsterians? I hope everybody doing well. Since it's October, I chose to share a throwback from nearly 30 years ago

If you existed in 1984 (I was only 2 years old), you may remember that Christmas Horror Comedy, Gremlins.

 

 

 

 

Gremlins Movie Trailer (1984)


It was 1 of the most controversial movies during 1984. Actually, 1984 in general was quite a controversial year regarding entertainment.

Democrat, Tipper GORE had a spazz attack about her precious 12-year-old daughter's music. Karenna was listening to Prince's "Darling Nikki" from his Purple Rain album.

Tipper was SO triggered that it led to her becoming the founder of Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) and having her "Tipper Stickers" (a.k.a. "Parental Advisory" labels) plastered, if not engraved into explicit album covers.

Also, the PG-13 rating was launched in 1984. Gremlins was highly controversial years ago because it originally had a PG rating.

Those of us, who watched the movie, already know it was a really violent for children in '84. There were many complaints about 1 of the gremlins being killed in the microwave. I can't remember his name. However, I remember that scene nearly 30 years later.

Gremlins Microwave Scene (1984)

If I were Billy's mother, I would've killed that gremlin in the microwave, too! Watching that as a PG-rated Horror Comedy was and STILL is terrifying. Their big, fugly eyes still give me goosebumps just staring at them.

Not only was there controversy over the violence in this PG-rated movie, but there were also complaints about Gremlins being racist against black people.

This was because gremlins ate fried chicken, wore snapback hats, breakdanced, and listened to Jazz and Blues in the bar. 

Am I the only person laughing at such ridiculous claims? 

Some people in 1984 read a little TOO much into Gremlins. Even though Gremlins triggered lots of controversy, it was still very popular in 1984. 

The movie was so popular, that it had its own merchandise. YouTube vlogger, Andre (a.k.a. "Black Nerd") had a vlog in 2012 showing his display of Gremlins merchandise from both movies.

I am very disappointed to say, that vlog was deleted. I don't know why Andre's vlog was deleted from YouTube. Regardless, it sucks that his video is gone. I thought his vlog was awesome. Meanwhile...

I remember having a plastic Gizmo figure, when I was a toddler. As my mother pushed me around in store buggies, I played with him. 

Decades ago, Hardee's sold a series of 5 audio tapes/45 record audiobooks, which were adaptations of the Gremlins movie.

I ONLY  had Part 3 of the 5 record audiobooks. Talk about nostalgia and showing my age. Because I mentioned the audiobooks and since someone actually uploaded them to YouTube, I thought I would share their audiobooks with you all.

Audiobook 1: Gremlins "The Gift Of The Mogwai" (1984) 

Audiobook 2: Gremlins "Gizmo And The Gremlins" (1984)
 
Audiobook 3: Gremlins "Escape From The Gremlins" (1984)
 
Audiobook 4: Gremlins "Gremlins Trapped" (1984)
Audiobook 5: Gremlins "The Last Gremlin" (1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers