expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Why Are Some People Coulrophobic?

DISCLAIMER: Today's blog contains clowns.


 

Poltergeist: Clown Scene (1982)

How's it going lurkers? If you have been watching or listening to the latest in the news, some people have been playing killer clown pranks on others. As the days go by, I keep reading and hearing about coulrophobic people.

Coulrophobia is having a fear of clowns.

Surprisingly, coulrophobia has existed for decades. As long as I can remember, my youngest aunt (she's 7 years older than me) has been scared of clowns, since the movie, Poltergeist. Poltergeist released in theaters June 4, 1982.

That was literally 10 days before I was born.

Like I already said, the clown in Poltergeist somewhat caused my aunt to become coulrophobic. However, I don't believe her coulrophobia is as debilitating as others.

Some people seriously have a debilitating fear of clowns. Most coulrophobics are scared of the Auguste Clowns.

Auguste Clowns are the clowns with red noses and crazy-looking hair.

I mainly discussed this issue on Adult Swim. A poster mentioned, that John Wayne Gacy contributed to coulrophobia.

Gacy was a serial killer/rapist dressed as a clown, during the 1970's in Chicago, IL.

The Adult Swim poster, who I talked to made a valid point, that highly supports coulrophobia.

I feel that Horror Movies, Horrorcore rappers, and Shock Metal bands such as Insane Clown Posse and Slipknot, for example contributed to their fair share of coulrophobia within the last 2-3 decades.

I'm not demonizing them. I'm only stating my observations.

Horror Movie Auguste Clowns

Pennywise The Clown from Stephen King's It most definitely made his contribution to coulrophobia. 

Almost everyone I've talked to about their fear of clowns is quick to name drop Pennywise. The latest addition to coulrophobia happens to be Twisty The Clown from American Horror Story: Freak Show.

Professional Scary Clowns Upset With American Horror Story’s Scary Clown

After reading the preceding article regarding Glenn Kohlberger's anger towards the demonization of clowns, I couldn't help laughing. Clowns of America's president is upset about clowns being portrayed as serial killers.

So far, there appears to be an increasing number of adults and children, who dislike clowns. Supposedly, movies about killer clowns have traumatized the most recent generations. Some coulrophobics claim they fear what is HIDDEN under the masks.

My youngest aunt especially claims, that a clown's physical appearance looks suspicious and abnormal.

Translation: They are social deviants; Clowns look like complete freaks and she doesn't trust them.

I was never coulrophobic growing up. Then again, I have been a Horror fan, since my childhood. In order to understand how horrific coulrophobia can be for some, here's an old clip from a documentary about a coulrophobic woman.

A Severely Coulrophobic Woman

This phobia seems hilarious, if not ridiculous to the rest of us. Although, this can't be said to those struggling with coulrophobia.

Coulrophobia can be as debilitating as being arachnophobic (being scared of spiders). I was really surprised to learn, that Johnny Depp and Sean "Puff Daddy/P. Diddy" Combs are coulrophobics.

I was more surprised about Johnny Depp than P. Diddy, considering all the creepy and social deviant roles that Johnny has played within the last 1-3 decades. Well, you learn something new everyday.

Last week, I Googled coulrophobia and stumbled upon websites regarding people's fear of clowns. In fact, there is a website specifically called, Coulrophobia Facts. 

The website gives readers a better understanding about having a fear of clowns in detail.

Coulrophobia Facts lists the different types of clowns, the history of coulrophobia, and gives suggestions about how to overcome the fear.

If you want to learn more about coulrophobia, the link is above.

Anyway, since today's blog is about CLOWNS and Halloween is creeping around the corner, I have a music video for you called "Proud As Punch" by Fear Incorporated. I'm so sadistic.

Fear Incorporated "Proud As Punch" Dark Carnival (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers