expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Cartoon Sunday: The Real Ghostbusters


How's it going lurkers? Last week, I forgot to mention that Blue Exorcist is actually getting another season! This is fantastic news for us fans! 

Hopefully with a 2nd season, there will be more exploration about the character, Renzo Shima.

The finale for this Supernatural Shonen Jump Action Anime felt incomplete much like a cliffhanger. Even though Rin Okumura is the protagonist, I still am quite fond of Renzo Shima. 

He and Rin Okumura are my favorite characters from Blue Exorcist. Shima wants to act like he is a Don Juan YET  he's a cowardly character, who's always scared of everything. That is always hilarious to watch.

Nearly 2 years ago, I remember reading a summary about the Blue Exorcist Manga and its characters. 

If memory serves me right, Renzo Shima becomes a double agent and is very skilled with his weapons. 

If this is true in the Blue Exorcist Manga, maybe Shima hides the fact that he's a lethal agent from everyone. Hopefully the Blue Exorcist Anime shows that Renzo Shima is a double agent for Season 2.

Meanwhile, are you feeling nostalgic for the 1984 Ghostbusters movie franchise? If so, there's more '80s nostalgia for you today.

Last night, I was able to locate the Ghostbusters cartoon I grew up watching during the 1980's. If you are at least in your mid-30's like myself, you should remember The Real Ghostbusters. 

The Real Ghostbusters debuted in 1986, which was 2 years after the original Ghostbusters movie. I CANNOT  believe that it has been nearly 30 years, since I last watched this '80s classic!

Being able to understand a childhood cartoon as an adult is the best part about re-watching it!

Whenever I re-watch a movie or  TV show from my youth, it is more like viewing something without blinders over my eyes; It's like being a virgin to that show or movie all over again.

There are more times, when I re-watch a show or movie and think to myself, "I don't remember this happening. When did this happen?" or "Hmm, I never thought of it that way."

While re-watching The Real Ghostbusters' pilot "Ghosts R Us," I started realizing how much the animated illustration for Dr. Egon Spengler resembles some of the characters we always see in today's Japanese animation (Anime).

This made me question if those, who did the illustrations were Japanese and/or possibly Korean.

After watching the ending credits scroll during the end of "Ghosts R Us," I saw a lot of Japanese names listed for the animation. This explained a lot to me. 

Even though The Real Ghostbusters was an American cartoon, some of the characters resembled Japanese illustrations. The illustration for Dr. Egon Spengler was an automatic dead giveaway for yours truly.

It's amazing how much you can learn by watching Japanese animation! Things that make you go hmm...

Okay, now I am REALLY showing my age here. Anyway, if you have NEVER had the chance to watch The Real Ghostbusters circa 1986, you now have the chance for today's Cartoon Sunday.

The Real Ghostbusters Pilot "Ghosts R Us" (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers