expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Featured Post

RIP, TinyLetter & Webs!🪦

Doomsday has arrived for TinyLetter newsletter. Now, I really don't know what to do. Had Vistaprint NOT shut down Webs, I'd still ...

My Blog List

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Which Writers Made Writer's Relief's Top 10 Horror Writers Countdown

How's it going lurkers? Because I normally blog at least 2-3 days a week on here, blogging appears to overshadow the fact, that I am also a Horror Writer. 

I have been creating MY OWN stories with MY OWN characters, since I was a 3rd grader. This cannot necessarily be said about those, who write Fan Fiction.

I'm actually amazed by some people I meet in public, who have NEVER heard of Fan Fiction or know what it is. Even though I am not yet published, I have never liked or respected Fan Fiction. Neither do more established and published authors such as Stephen King, for example.

Fan Fiction is more like a disguised form of plagiarism by nerds online, who want to pretend they are so-called screenwriters. I have said this countless times, if you are able to write your own stories, you can create YOUR OWN CHARACTERS, as well.

Why re-write another author or screenwriter's story to best suit YOUR OWN LIKING, when you can create your own characters and write your own stories?

I can understand basing your story on a historical figure/event or paying homage to an author. 

In fact, 11 years ago, I was assigned to pay homage to an author for a Creative Writing class during my college junior year. 

My short story, "Dolls", which I eventually renamed "Across The Street," is mostly an homage to Octavio Paz's Flash Fiction piece, "The Blue Bouquet." 

In addition to paying homage to Paz, I incorporated an homage to the inside album cover of KoRn's Follow The Leader album and James O'Barr's The Crow.

This will surely offend quite a few by me saying this, but it seems like it is mostly Millennials, who are so quick to write Fan Fiction rather than creating their OWN stories to write and creating their OWN characters.

It's as if Fan Fiction writers are striving to be wannabe "screenwriters" and expect for everyone to pat them on their backs for UNoriginality and copycatting. 

Writers of that ilk don't try to be innovative in the slightest because they deluded themselves into believing, that they can write a famous author or screenwriter's story BETTER than he/she did. This automatically makes me roll my eyes and laugh.

If Fan Fiction writers can create such dynamic stories, they can surely create their own characters. I don't care HOW they try justifying to me or anyone else. You will be a lot more respectable, WHEN you create your OWN characters with the stories you independently created. It would NOT surprise me if most publishers consider Fan Fiction writers to be laughingstocks.

Speaking of writers in today's blog, Writer's Relief shared a YouTube video sharing their countdown of Top 10 Horror Writers. Since I am a Horror writer and a FAN, I thought I would share their video.

When I was growing up, I was NOT a bookworm. Reading books typically bored me to sleep. Watching TV, movies, and music videos were entertaining. However, I will say that whenever I DID enjoy reading books, they were usually published books by R.L. Stine or another Horror author.

Whether I was reading or watching it, Horror always kept my interest. Then again, it's like I already said, I was born and raised during the 1980's and '90s. During the 1980's, TV shows such as Freddy's Nightmares, for example, used to air on local TV stations.

Slasher Horror was highly condemned and demonized yet it was a favorite among Horror fans. The Horror fandom was not like it is today. Horror was nicher for a niche audience.

Almost everyone today is a Horror fan because Horror is now widely acceptable, more contrived, LAMEstream, and "trendy" for the HIPSTER demographic.

You will have to forgive me, if I sound more like an elitist for saying this, but a lot of today's so-called Horror fans are hipsters. Those supposed Horror fans did NOT  earn their proverbial stars and stripes of being labeled as a sociopath, psychopath, FREAK, weirdo, serial killer, or any other type of negative label, which most of us REAL Horror fans were demonized and branded as, during our youth.

Anyway, here is Writer's Relief's video countdown for their Top 10 Horror Writers.

Writer's Relief's Top 10 Horror Writers Countdown (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Total Pageviews

Followers